How-To Tuesday: Vanilla-Bean Meringue Kisses
Here's an excerpt from Pure Vanilla: Irresistible Recipes and Essential Techniques by Shauna Sever! You can find this excerpt for free in our sampler, and you can download it here.
Meringue nears the top of our list of Best Foods on the Entire Planet. It's so beautiful and delicious in its simplicity and serves as a backdrop for so many different flavors and add-ins. But, as purists, we find its angelic texture and melting sweetness ideal for showcasing pure vanilla flavor. It's a delicious treat that your darling will love.
Makes 4 dozen 1 ½-inch kisses.
4 large egg whites, at room temperature
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup confectioners' sugar
1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Caviar of ½ vanilla bean
1. Position oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat oven to 200°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt on medium-high speed until very foamy and just barely holding shape, about 2 minutes.
3. Sift sugars together into a small bowl and then gradually add sugars to egg-white mixture, continuing to beat until batter holds firm peaks, about 3 minutes more. Increase mixer speed to high and beat for 1 final minute, adding vanilla extract and vanilla bean caviar.
4. Transfer meringue to a pastry bag fitted with a large round or star tip.
5. Pipe meringues about 1 ½ inches in diameter onto prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch between them. Bake until meringues are firm and crisp, about 1 ½ hours. Turn off oven, open the door slightly, and let meringues cool completely in oven, about 1 more hour. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Christina is the voice behind Quirk’s social media channels and editor-in-chief of the blog. She graduated from Rowan University with her M.A. in Writing and joined Quirk in 2016. She loves weekend cooking projects, Cape May in the winter, and her dog, Rocket. Say hi on Twitter @quirkbooks or @saychristina!