Quirk Books – 2022 Fall Publicity and Marketing Intern (Remote Position)
We are excited to open up an internship opportunity for qualified individuals in and beyond the Philadelphia area through this paid, remote position. This part-time role will allow the candidate to learn about the publicity and marketing process in book publishing through hands-on, virtual experience. The internship runs from September 2022 through December 2022 and requires a minimum commitment of 20 hours a week.
- Publicity Support: Assist publicists on publicity campaign prep, including writing press materials and pulling media lists.
- Clerical Support: Fulfill mailings, track and log publicity clips (including daily reports on media hits) and send weekly blurb memos.
- Research: Create contact lists for media, library and retail, social media influencers, and various marketing outreach initiatives.
- Digital Content Support: Create monthly agendas for Blog + Online Content Brainstorm meetings, upload and edit blog posts for Quirk’s website, and assist digital marketing manager in creating and moderating social media content (including Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok).
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Must have good time-management skills and be organized and detail oriented
- Must be proactive, flexible, and adaptive in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and work independently
- Proficiency in Google Drive (including Docs and Sheets)
- Knowledge of Canva a plus
- Experience and/or interest in social media, especially TikTok, a plus
- Ability to work well in a virtual environment (must have access to laptop/desktop computer and reliable, secure internet connection, video conferencing and screen sharing capabilities, and comfort in using and desire to learn digital tools)
- A strong interest in book publishing and a love of reading
- Must be able to commit to a minimum of 20 hours a week (up to 30 hours are available upon request)
- Not open to current high school students
- Start Date: September 6, 2022 (flexible start date for current students)
About Quirk Books:
Founded in 2002, Quirk Books publishes a highly curated list of entertaining, enlightening, and strikingly unconventional books for adults and children in a number of genres and categories. Quirk publishes books that are meant to be shared and discussed—books that are objects of desire—and that have the potential to reach the widest possible readership because of their positioning and packaging. Some of Quirk’s best-selling titles include Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, Grady Hendrix’s genre busting horror novels My Best Friend’s Exorcism and The Southern Book Club’s Guide to Slaying Vampires, the legendary mash-up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, The Baby Owner’s Manual, and The Astrology of You and Me. While headquartered on a cobblestone street in historic Old City, Philadelphia, Quirk’s books are distributed worldwide by Penguin Random House and available wherever books are sold.
Location: Remote; US residents only (office operates on Eastern Time Zone hours)
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter that speaks to your passion for book publishing and any related experience along with your resume to [email protected] with the subject line “Publicity and Marketing Internship.” No calls please.
ON THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE: Check out our blog series to learn more about our staff!
David Borgenicht, President and Founder
Nicole De Jackmo, SVP, Sales, Marketing, and Publicity
John J. McGurk, VP, Digital & Print Production
Katherine McGuire, Assistant Director, Subsidiary Rights & Business Development
Kelsey Hoffman, Senior Publicity & Marketing Manager