WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
Through your use of our Site, we collect personal information, which is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to you as an identifiable individual (“Personal Information”).
A. Information You Provide Directly to Us.
When you engage with certain features of our Site, we will request Personal Information from you. The Personal Information you provide in each of the below instances is such that we need in order to accommodate your request or provide you a specific service. If you do not provide us with your Personal Information, we will not be able to fulfill your request or provide you with the service. We collect Personal Information from you when you:
- Apply for employment. When you apply for employment with Quirk Books, you will do so through the email provided on our Site. When you apply, we will collect your name, email address, educational history, employment history, and your resume/CV. We use this Personal Information to process and assess your employment application.
- Subscribe to our mailing list or newsletter. When you subscribe to our mailing list or newsletter, we will collect your name, email address, and company information. We collect this information to fulfill your request to receive the requested information, updates, and special offers from Quirk Books.
- Utilize our referral program. Our referral program encourages newsletter subscribers to invite friends to sign up for our newsletter. If you choose to do so, we will collect your name and email address. We use this information to enroll you into the referral program and to provide you a unique link to send to your friends.
- Contact us. When you send us a question or inquiry, or ask for technical or other support, you will need to provide us with your name, email address, and affiliated organization. We collect this information to fulfill your request for additional information from us.
- Add a comment. To add a comment, you will provide your name and any other information you choose to disclose in your comments. We collect this information in order to fulfill your request to provide a comment on our authors, books, or brands. Comments are moderated before being posted on our Site.
- Engage in social media giveaways. If you participate in our social media giveaways, we may collect your name, email address, and mailing address. We collect this Personal Information in order to fulfill the giveaway.
B. Information Collected Automatically.
Cookies are text files that your browser places on your device when you visit a website. Cookies can be “persistent” or “session” cookies. Persistent cookies stay on your device for a set period of time or until you delete them, while session cookies expire when you close your web browser. The technologies deployed on our Site collect the following information:
- Usage Information. We may collect certain information about your use of the Site, such as a reading history of the pages you view, your search terms and search results, time of access, date of access, software crash reports, session identification number, access times, and referring website addresses.
- Device Information. We may collect certain information about your device that you use to access the Site, unique device identifiers, browser type, browser language, hardware model, operating system, and your Site preferences.
- Location Information. We may collect information about your location, which may be determined through your IP address.
We collect this information as part of our legitimate interest to improve the functionality and efficiency of our website. To collect this information, we use the following cookies on our Site for the following purposes:
- Strictly Necessary Cookies. These cookies are required for making use of our Site. These cookies include security cookies to authenticate users, prevent fraudulent use of our Site, and protect user data from unauthorized parties. Our strictly necessary cookies allow our Site to function and allow you to use the features of our Site.
- Functional Cookies. These cookies enable our Site to provide enhanced functionality and personalization for you. We use functional cookies to remember your preferences, diagnose server and software errors, and in cases of abuse, track and mitigate the abuse.
Particular third-party cookies on our Site to note include:
- Facebook Pixel. We use Facebook Pixel to customize our advertising and to serve you ads on your social media based on your browsing behavior. This allows your behavior to be tracked after you have been redirected to our Site by clicking on the Facebook ad. The Facebook Pixel stores a cookie on your device to enable us to measure the effectiveness of Facebook ads for statistical and market research purposes. We do not have access to the information collected through the Facebook Pixel. However, the information collected via the Facebook Pixel is also stored and processed by Facebook. Facebook may link this information to your Facebook account and also use it for its own promotional purposes in accordance with Facebook’s Data Usage Policy. The Facebook Pixel also allows Facebook and its partners to show you advertisements on and outside of Facebook. You can opt-out of displaying Facebook ads by visiting your Facebook Ad Settings, and you can clear and control the information third parties share with Facebook in your Off-Facebook Activity page. If you do not have a Facebook account, you can opt-out of Facebook ads through the Digital Advertising Alliance here. For European users, please visit the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance here.
- Google Tag Manager. Google Tag Manager is a tag management system to manage tags used for tracking and analytics on websites. Tags are small code elements that, among other things, are used to manage traffic and visitor behavior and to test and optimize websites. We utilize Google Tag Manager to manage and organize all third-party tags on our Site and to control when those tags are triggered. For more information, please review Google Tag Manager’s privacy practices privacy practices.
- Hotjar. We use Hotjar in order to better understand user experience and to optimize the Site. Hotjar allows us to better understand users’ experience (e.g. how much time you spend on which pages, which links you choose to click, what users do and don’t like, etc.) and this enables us to determine how to improve our site functionality and features. For further details, please see the about Hotjar’ section of Hotjar’s support site. You can opt-out of Hotjar at any time.
- Crazy Egg. We also use Crazy Egg to help us understand how users engage with our Site, such as where a user clicks or how far they scroll on a page. To accomplish this, Crazy Egg will place a cookie in your browser. This cookie collects information about your browser, your device, referring website, and IP address. You can review Crazy Egg’s privacy practices for more information. You can opt-out of Crazy Egg at any time.
- Cookie Settings
- HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use the Personal Information we collect about you to provide requested services, improve our Site and services, and to protect our legal rights. Specifically, we use the Personal Information we collect in the following ways:
We use your Personal Information for the following purposes as necessary to provide the requested services to you and perform our contract with you:
- Provide you with the products and services you request. We use your Personal Information to process your purchase; post your user generated comments on our authors, books or brands; administer our referral program; and provide requested information and updates from Quirk Books via our mailing list and newsletter, all as set forth in the section above.
- Communicate and provide support. We use Personal Information to communicate with you about our Site and the services offered thereon, respond to your questions or inquiries, inform you of any changes to our Site, or to provide you with any other support or services you request.
- Assess your employment application. We use your Personal Information to assess and manage your employment application with Quirk Books.
We also use the Personal Information as part of our legitimate interests in the improvement, optimization and marketing of our services and in the security of our Website and services. These uses include:
- Communicate about new features and offers. We will send you offers and promotions for our products and services, third party products and services, or special events by email that we feel may be of interest to you.
- Maintenance. We also use the information we collect to diagnose any problems with our Site and to improve and optimize the Site and user experience.
- Marketing and Improvement. We use your Personal Information to identify your interests and needs in order to provide you with more personalized and relevant services; to perform statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses of users of the Site and recipients of our emails, including browsing and purchasing patterns; to administer contests, sweepstakes, promotions, and surveys.
We may also use your Personal Information to defend our rights and the rights of others, efficiently maintain our business and to comply with the law as described in WITH WHOM WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION. This is part of our legitimate interest in the performance of our contractual obligations, protection of legal rights, compliance with legal obligations, and protection of the rights of Site users and other individuals.
WITH WHOM WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
We share your Personal Information for the purposes set forth below:
Third Party Service Providers. We share Personal Information with third-party service providers that perform functions on our behalf, such as hosting, IT Support, data analytics, marketing, analytics, email communications, customer service, and fraud protection. We do this as part of our legitimate interest in providing our Website and services offered thereon efficiently.
Within Quirk Books. We may share Personal Information within our corporate family, such as with subsidiaries, joint ventures, or affiliates, in order to efficiently carry out our business and to the extent permitted by law. We do this as part of our legitimate interest in carrying out our business operations efficiently.
When Required By Law or In Emergency Situations. We may share Personal Information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to (a) conform to applicable law or comply with legal process served on us or the Site; (b) protect and defend our rights or property, the Site or our users, and (c) act under emergency circumstances to protect the personal safety of us, our affiliates, agents, or the users of the Site or the public. We do this in order to comply with the law and our legitimate interest in the prevention of fraud, compliance with legal obligations, and the protection of the rights of others.
Corporate Reorganization. In the event that we enter into, or intend to enter into, a transaction that alters the structure of our business, such as a reorganization, merger, acquisition, sale, joint venture, assignment, consolidation, transfer, change of control, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock, we would share personal information with third parties, including the buyer or target (and their agents and advisors) for the purpose of facilitating and completing the transaction. We would also share Personal Information with third parties if we undergo bankruptcy or liquidation, in the course of such proceedings. We do this as part of our legitimate interest in carrying out our business operations.
With Your Consent. We may request your permission to share your Personal Information for a specific purpose. We will notify you and request consent before you provide the Personal Information or before the Personal Information you have already provided is shared for such purpose.
Non-Identifiable or Aggregated Information. We may share non-identifiable or aggregated information with third parties for lawful purposes.
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION
We will retain your Personal Information until the later of (i) the information is no longer necessary to accomplish the purpose for which it was provided, or (ii) there is no ongoing business reason to keep the information. We will retain your Personal Information for longer periods for specific purposes to the extent that we are obliged to do so in accordance with applicable laws and regulations, it is necessary to protect our legal rights, or for tax or accounting purposes. Below are some more specific reasons we would retain some data for longer periods of time:
- Security, fraud & abuse prevention. For example, to protect you, other people, and us from fraud, abuse, and unauthorized access.
- Complying with legal or regulatory requirements. To meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, as required to enforce our terms of service, including investigation of potential violations
- Direct communications with us. If you have directly communicated with us, through a customer support channel, feedback form, or a bug report, we may retain reasonable records of those communications.
YOUR INFORMATION CHOICES
Access, Correct, or Delete Your Personal Information. To access, correct, or delete your Personal Information in our possession, please email us at [email protected]. To adjust your preferences in relation to our newsletter, please visit our Subscribe and Set Genre Preferences.
Google Analytics. You can control the information provided to Google and opt-out by using one of the methods set forth here. You can also download the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on for Google Analytics which can be found here.
Facebook Pixel. You can opt-out of displaying Facebook ads by visiting your Facebook Ad Settings, and you can clear and control the information third parties share with Facebook in your Off-Facebook Activity page.
MailChimp Tracking. To disable MailChimp email tracking, you can disable images in your email.
Hotjar. You can opt-out of HotJar here.
Crazy Egg. You can opt-out of Crazy Egg here
Marketing Emails. You can opt-out of receiving marketing e-mails from us by clicking the “unsubscribe” link provided in each email. Please note we will continue to send you notifications necessary for the Site and any services your request.
Online Advertising. To opt-out of interest based advertising generally, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative or the Digital Advertising Alliance. For European users, please visit the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance.
Cookies. All session cookies expire after you close your browser. Persistent cookies can be removed by following your browser’s directions. To find out how to see what cookies have been set on your device, and how to reject and delete the cookies, please visit: https://www.aboutcookies.org/. Please note that each browser is different. For information on reviewing or deleting cookies from specific browsers, click on the appropriate browser: Firefox, Firefox IOS, Firefox Android, Safari, Safari Mobile, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Opera. To find information relating to other browsers, visit the browser developer’s website. If you reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent, some features of our Site may not function properly. If you choose to opt-out, we will place an “opt-out cookie” on your computer. The “opt-out cookie” is browser and device specific and only lasts until cookies are cleared from your browser or device. The opt-out cookie will not work for strictly necessary cookies. If the cookie is removed or deleted, if you upgrade your browser or if you visit us from a different computer, you will need to return and update your preferences.
DO NOT TRACK
Some browsers offer a “Do Not Track” feature that lets you tell websites that you do not want to have your online activities tracked. We do not respond to these “Do Not Track” signals.
If you are a consumer in the State of Nevada, you may request to opt-out of the current or future sale of certain of your Personal Information. We do not currently sell any of your Personal Information under Nevada law, nor do we plan to do so in the future. However, you can submit a request to opt-out of future sales, as defined by Nevada law, by contacting us at [email protected]. Please include “Opt-Out Request Under Nevada Law” in the subject line and body of your message.
This Site is not marketed to and Quirk Books does not knowingly collect or maintain Personal Information from, children under the age of 13. If we learn that we have collected or received Personal Information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under the age of 13, please let us know by contacting us at [email protected].
SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Quirk Books takes reasonable steps to protect and secure the Personal Information we collect. However, no security measure or modality of data transmission over the Internet is 100% secure and Quirk Books cannot guarantee the absolute security of your Personal Information. Any Personal Information you transmit to us is at your own risk.
THIRD PARTY CONTENT AND LINKS TO THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
215 Church Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
Last modified on November 20, 2020