Freaky Friday: Preparing for a Very Quirky Halloween with Witches’ Brew
Listen. We're a company that loves dressing up just-because for our office parties (ie: piggies back in March), so you better believe we absolutely adore Halloween here at Quirk. It's a special time of year when the things we love the most, from scary monsters to heaps of candy, are celebrated in a very public way.
So to help pave the way towards Halloween, we'll have some fun excerpts to get you properly prepared every Friday.
First up? Some Witches' Brew from Witch Craft by Margaret McGuire and Alicia Kachmar. Blood orange punch? Yes please.
This blood-orange punch served up in a fancy bowl or creepy cauldron will keep guests under your spell.
• 2 quarts cranberry juice or cranberry cocktail
• 1 3/4 quarts orange juice
• 1/4 cup lemon juice
• 2 blood oranges, washed and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
• 2 liters orange-flavored or unflavored seltzer
1. In a clean punch bowl or cauldron, stir to combine cranberry juice, orange juice, and lemon juice.
2. Add orange slices to the brew.
3. Pour in seltzer just before party time to ensure that witches’ brew stays bubbly and fizzy for your guests.
• For a potent punch, mix in 4 cups gin or vodka. Alternatively, spike your brew with 2 cups vodka plus 2 cups of orange liqueur, such as Cointreau
ERIC SMITH is the cofounder of Geekadelphia, a popular blog covering all-that-is-geek in the City of Brotherly Love, as well as the Philadelphia Geek Awards, an annual awards show held at the Academy of Natural Sciences. He’s written for the Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia Weekly, and Philly.com