National Ice Cream Month: Spiked Ice Cream Cake
A classic kids birthday favorite turned indulgent adult treat, this Spiked Ice Cream Cake will be the star of your next get-together.
Every part of this cake, from the ice cream filling to the cake itself to the frosting, is infused with booze (in this case, bourbon). Plus, changing up the flavor of the cake, ice cream, or both allows you to create new and exciting cakes all summer long!
Spiked Ice Cream Cake
From Booze Cakes by Krystina Castella and Terry Lee Stone
Here’s an adult version of everyone’s favorite birthday cake. This recipe makes a chocolatey bourbon-laced cake that’s filled with bourbon-spiked ice cream and topped with still more bourbon-infused frosting. You can experiment with any imaginable combination of cake, alcohol, ice cream, and frosting.
Spiked Ice Cream
– 4 cups (2 pints) cherry vanilla ice cream, partially melted
– ¼ to ½ cup bourbon
– A few drops food coloring, if desired
Bourbon Devil’s Food Cake
– ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
– 1 ¾ cups sugar
– 2 eggs
– ½ cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1 ½ cups cake flour
– ¼ teaspoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– ½ teaspoon salt
– ½ cup milk
– ¼ cup espresso or strong coffee
– ¼ cup bourbon
Creamy Vanilla Bourbon Frosting
– 1 ½ cups heavy cream
– 2 tablespoons sugar
– ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
– 2 tablespoons bourbon
– Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9- or 10-inch tube pan.
– For the spiked ice cream: Stir together ice cream, bourbon, and food coloring; freeze overnight.
– Thaw spiked ice cream for 20 minutes or microwave on low in 60-second intervals until soft.
– For the cake: In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar 3 to 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs.
– Combine cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Combine milk, espresso, and bourbon. Beat the flour and bourbon mixtures into the butter mixture in three alternating additions. Pour the batter into the cake pan. Bake for 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
– For the frosting: In a mixing bowl, beat cream and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla and bourbon.
– Slice off the top fourth of the cake horizontally and set aside. Place the remaining cake on a freezer-safe plate. With a thin serrated knife, gently score around the inner edge, about ¾ inch from the edge and no deeper than 1 inch from the bottom of the cake. Repeat with outer edge. With a serrated spoon, carefully scoop out the cake between the scores to create a tunnel. Freeze 1 hour. (Go for it! Eat the scooped-out cake while you’re waiting.)
– Remove the cake from the freezer. Fill the center tunnel with softened bourbon-spiked ice cream. Put the top layer back on, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and freeze at least 4 hours. Frost, and then freeze 30 minutes before serving.
Flavor variations are endless! Try these combinations or mix and match to suit your taste:
Bourbon Chocolate Caramel-Vanilla Ice Cream Cake — For the ice cream: Replace cherry vanilla with caramel vanilla swirl.
Rum Mocha Ice Cream Cake – For the cake and ice cream: Prepare a chocolate cake in a tube pan. Add ½ cup rum to the batter before baking. Fill with coffee ice cream that has been spiked with rum. For the frosting: Substitute rum for the bourbon and chocolate extract for the vanilla.
Vodka Mint Chocolate Ice Cream Cake – For the cake: Prepare a chocolate cake in a tube pan. Add ½ cup vodka to the batter before baking. Fill with mint chocolate chip ice cream that has been spiked with vodka. For the frosting: Substitute rum for the bourbon and mint extract for the vanilla.
Homemade Quirk: Follow the community on Twitter, like it on Facebook!