Happy Birthday, J.K. Rowling!
Dear, Dear J.K. Rowling,
Today it’s your birthday. Well, yours and Harry’s. My present to you is a Why You’re Awesome list. Because, homegirl, without you, I’d just be some random muggle. Now I’m an informed muggle.
Well, Let’s Get the Most Obvious Out the Way: Fifteen years ago, you gave us one of the most beloved series in the last fifteen years.
You got people excited about reading. People had book parties. BOOK PARTIES. I got to grow up at a time when it was cool to go to a book party. I cannot tell you how important this is.
Hermione Granger. Seriously, Hermione Granger: She’s smart and she’s not afraid to be smart. From an incredibly astute Tumblr post, if Hermione was the protagonist:
– Hermione Granger and “That Time I Used the Power of Research and Deductive Reasoning to Make Sure Harry Didn’t Die”
– Hermione Granger and “That Time I Was a Time Lord”
– Hermione Granger and “That Time I Realized I was Hot and Smart and Saved Harry’s Ass with Research. Again. All the Time. Really, He Would Have Died Without Me.”
– Hermione Granger and “That Time I told Harry about the Dangers of Copying off Somebody’s else’s work that wasn’t mine and OH LOOK I WAS RIGHT”
– Hermione Granger and “That Time I let Harry Decide Where to Go and What To do and we ended up wandering the forests of dean for like 5 months before saving his ass at Hogwarts”
That Time You Were on the Daily Show: And you said you stayed in England and paid taxes because you felt that you owed your country because they invested in you. Also when you nonchalantly mentioned that the Queen would probably have us back if we wanted.
You Gave Us the Opportunity for Harry Potter Memes: Like this one. And this one.
Pottermore: Yes, yes, Pottermore has its issues. But what’s amazing is that even after the story was finished, and the last book had come out and the last movie had come out, we are still getting more information. We are still getting more stories!
Sidenote to readers: If you haven’t read McGonagal’s backstory, you are missing out. You’re still writing for us. That’s amazing.
Because You Put Words Together Things Like:
“If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”
“I really like to explore the idea that difference is equal and good.”
“My Robert Galbraith signature is distinctive and consistent; I spent a whole weekend practising it to make sure.”
“The stories we love best do live in us forever so whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
You care about us and we care about you. So Happy Birthday, Jo! I’m glad we can be friends in my heart.