Do you want to believe? Explore our fascination with UFOs and extraterrestrial intelligence through exclusive interviews, archival photos, and strange but true stories from history.
After decades of cover-ups and denials, in a June 2021 report, the US government finally admitted what many people already knew: yes, UFOs are real, and no, we don’t know what (or who) they are. Writer and historian Marc Hartzman separates fact from fiction and provides a comprehensive tour through the skies, including:
- UFO sightings, from the famous to the obscure
- Alien abductions, including the Betty and Barney Hill abduction and the Pascagoula abduction
- Ancient aliens, from Biblical astronauts to the alien architects behind the pyramids
- Scientific evidence, including the “Wow!” radio signal and the interstellar ‘Oumuamua object
- Cover-ups and conspiracies, including the Roswell Incident and Area 51
- Governmental and military findings, from Project Blue Book to reports of UFOs at nuclear weapons sites
Deeply researched and highly entertaining, We Are Not Alone will inform and enchant anyone who’s ever doubted that we are really alone in the universe.
Posted by Kim Ismael
Meet the monsters in our midst, from bigfoot to Mothman and beyond!
Welcome to the United States of Cryptids, where mysterious monsters lurk in the dark forests, deep lakes, and sticky swamps of all fifty states. From the infamous Jersey Devil to the obscure Snallygaster, travel writer and chronicler of the strange J. W. Ocker uncovers the bizarre stories of these creatures and investigates the ways in which communities embrace and celebrate their local cryptids. Readers will learn about:
• Batsquatch of Washington, a winged bigfoot that is said to have emerged from the eruption of Mount Saint Helens
• Nain Rouge of Michigan, a fierce red goblin that has been spotted before every major city disaster in Detroit
• Flatwoods Monster of West Virginia, a robotic extraterrestrial that crash-landed in rural Appalachia
• Lizard Man of South Carolina, a reptilian mutant that attacked a teenager in the summer of 1988
• Glocester Ghoul of Rhode Island, a fire-breathing dragon that guards a hoard of pirate treasure
• And many more!
Whether you believe in bigfoot or not, this fully illustrated compendium is a fun, frightening, fascinating tour through American folklore and history, exploring the stories we tell about monsters and what those stories say about us.
Posted by Christina Schillaci
Possums may steal your garbage…but with this book, they’ll also steal your heart!
Possums are more than the ugly-cute icons of the internet. These so-called trash animals and pointy kitties are not only relatable avatars for anxious but resilient people everywhere, but nature’s secret clean-up crew.
Organized around common myths that have given possums a bad reputation, this fun and offbeat book reveals the truth about possums through dozens of adorable photos, informative illustrations, and fascinating facts. Did you know that…
- Possums protect people and pets from disease! A single possum can eat up to 4,000 ticks per week!
- Possums excel at interspecies friendships, often sleeping in other animals’ dens.
- Possums are shy creatures: when they “play dead,” they are actually fainting from anxiety!
Written by wildlife rehabber and possum advocate Ally Burguieres, known for her popular Instagram account @ItsMeSesame, this accessible and giftable guide explains why possums deserve our admiration and offers tips on how we can protect and advocate for these magical marsupials.
Posted by impart
For fans of offbeat pop history, a spirited tour through the supernatural history of America, from its haunted sites to its famous ghosts to its ghost-obsessed pop culture.
Ghosts are everywhere–whether you believe in them or not. Every town has its local legends, and countless books, movies, and TV shows are haunted by their presence. But our obsession with ghosts runs deeper than we know–and is embedded in the very fabric of American history.
Writer and historian Marc Hartzman dons the mantle of tour guide, taking readers on a fascinating journey through supernatural history, including:
- The Fox Sisters and the rise of Spiritualism
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- The tour takes a turn for the terrifying as we explore famous haunted sites like the Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia and the LaLaurie House in New Orleans, and learn about famous ghosts like the Bell Witch of Tennessee and the Greenbrier Ghost of West Virginia
- Along the way, we hear the stories of ghost hunters like Ed and Lorraine Warren, learn the history of ghost photography, and see how people are using modern-day technology to prove the existence of ghosts
Deeply researched and presented in an entertaining and accessible way, Marc Hartzman expertly blends popular history, pop culture, and a trove of archival material that will satisfy believers and skeptics alike.
Posted by impart
From notable geek girl Sam Maggs, The Fangirl’s Guide to the Universe is the ultimate handbook for teens living the nerdy life.
Fandom, pop culture, feminism, cosplay, cons, books, memes, podcasts, vlogs, OTPs and RPGs and MMOs and more—there’s never been a better time to be a fangirl, or a better guide to navigate the wide universe of fandoms. This handbook is packed with tips, playthroughs, and cheat codes, including:
· How to make nerdy friends
· How to rock cosplay
· How to write fanfic with feels
· How to defeat internet trolls
· How to attend your first con
And more! Featuring wisdom from Sam and insightful interviews with fangirl faves like Danielle Paige, Rainbow Rowell, and Preeti Chhibber, The Fangirl’s Guide to the Universe highlights the joys of fandom community and offers a fun, feminist take on the often male-dominated world of geekdom. This refreshed edition updates The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy including new interviews.
Posted by impart
Beware…this book is cursed! These strange but true stories of the world’s most infamous items will appeal to true believers as well as history buffs, horror fans, and anyone who loves a good spine-tingling tale.
They’re lurking in museums, graveyards, and private homes. Their often tragic and always bizarre stories have inspired countless horror movies, reality TV shows, novels, and campfire tales. They’re cursed objects, and all they need to unleash a wave of misfortune is . . . you.
Many of these unfortunate items have intersected with some of the most notable events and people in history, leaving death and destruction in their wake. But never before have the true stories of these eerie oddities been compiled into a fascinating and chilling volume. Inside, readers will learn about:
• Annabelle the Doll, a Raggedy Ann doll that featured in the horror franchise The Conjuring
• The Unlucky Mummy, which is rumored to have sunk the Titanic and kick-started World War I
• The Dybbuk box, which was sold on eBay and spawned the horror film The Possession
• The Conjured Chest, which has been blamed for fifteen deaths within a single family
• The Ring of Silvianus, a Roman artifact believed to have inspired J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit
• And many more!
Posted by impart