Photo via Climbing Grier Mountain
Whether you spell it donuts or doughnuts, you cannot deny the joy that stuffing a deep-fried ring of happiness in your face can bring.
We have plenty of options if we’re jonesing for a quick glazed donut from Krispy Kreme or a chocolate frosted treat from Dunkin Donuts, but what if we want something more adventurous? And then what if we take it one step further and want to even make the donuts ourselves? Look no further! The interwebz has plenty of places to find easy recipes for unique flavors that will spice up the donut game.
Use the links for each creation to find the recipes and get bakin’!
1. Baked Donuts with Chocolate Glaze and Popcorn: Popcorn? On a donut? …How did no one think of this sooner? This salty and sweet combination will surely satisfy your sweet tooth and it only takes about 20 minutes to bake so really, what’s your excuse?
2. Doughnut Ice Cream Sandwiches with Salted Maple Ice Cream and Caramel: What’s better than eating two doughnuts? Eating two doughnuts with ice cream sandwiched in between them! It’s a known fact that ice cream makes everything better so why not scoop some onto your doughnut? This recipe requires a few more steps but just think of the end results!
3. Strawberry Cheesecake Donuts: Strawberry cheesecake is a classic dessert, and this donut gives you the chance to eat dessert for breakfast without feeling guilty about eating cake so early in the day. It has a warm strawberry center with a graham cracker coating and is sure to add a little sweetness to your morning!
4. Peanut Butter and Jelly Doughnuts: PB&J is the classic food love story. They go together like grilled cheese and tomato soup. So why not make a donut out of this timeless combination? Though the cook time total can seem a little daunting, putting in the time for what is sure to be an explosion of doughy peanut buttery happiness is totally worth it, right?
Photo via Julies Eats and Treats
5. Baked Toasted Coconut Red Velvet Donuts: Following the trend of baked donuts for those who may not have the time or supplies for a full-fledged frying experience comes the Baked Toasted Coconut Red Velvet Donuts. Even though they’re baked, they’re no less delicious and with a classic, savory cream cheese frosting to boot!
6. Baked Guinness Donuts & Irish Cream Glaze: Did that flavor catch your eye? For the boozier experience, try this creamy-looking Guinness-infused donut that will most definitely complement your morning cup of coffee.
7. Spiced Baked Doughnuts with Nacho Chili Cheese: Who said all donuts had to be sweet and savory? Cut the sprinkles and throw on some chili instead. Adding nacho chili cheese to a donut is definitely an adventurous way to expose your tastebuds to new culinary horizons and adds some kick.