Please click on one of the links below to jump to the listed section:
- What Information We Collect About You
- How We Use Your Information
- Who We Share Your Information With
- Security of Your Personal Information
- Third Party Content and Links to Third Party Websites
- Governing Law
- Notice to Non-US Users
- How to Opt-Out or Correct Your Information
- Your California Privacy Rights
- How to Contact Us
We collect two basic types of information from you in conjunction with your use of the Sites: (1) personal information, which is any information that individually identifies you (e.g., your name, email address, postal address) and (2) non-personal information, which is information that does not personally identify you but may include information about your interest, demographics (e.g., age, gender, 5-digit zip code) and use of the Sites. We collect this information in the following ways:
Information You Provide Directly to Us:
We may ask you to provide your personal information, demographic information or information about your preferences or interests when you:
- Sign up to receive email newsletters from us
- Enter a contest or sweepstakes
- Participate in surveys or special promotions
- Participate on social media accounts involving our authors, books, or brands
- Submit user generated content on any part of the Sites that permits it
- Knowingly volunteer information on any other part of the Sites (e.g., submit submissions, submit a job application)
Information Collected Using Technology:
In addition to any information you provide directly to us, we and our third party service providers may use a variety of technologies that automatically collect certain non-personal information when you interact with the Sites or emails sent to you, including the following:
We may collect certain information about your computer or other device that you use to access the Sites, including IP address, geolocation information, unique device identifiers, browser type, browser language, and other transactional information.
We may log certain information about your use of the Sites (e.g., a reading history of the pages you view, your search terms and search results) and additional “traffic data” (e.g., time of access, date of access, software crash reports, session identification number, access times, referring website addresses).
Cookies, Flash Cookies, and Web Beacons
Like many websites, we use web beacons or similar technologies.
A "web beacon" (also known as an "action tag," "tracer tag," or "single-pixel GIF") is an invisible graphic that is programmed only to collect non-personal information about your use of our Site or emails sent to you. Web beacons may be used for a number of purposes, including counting visitors to the Site, monitoring how users navigate the Site, counting how many emails were opened or how many links were viewed, and providing you with content customized to your interests.
California Do Not Track Notice
Some browsers offer a “Do Not Track” feature that lets you tell websites that you do not want to have your online activities tracked. We do not respond to these “Do Not Track” signals. At this time, we do not track your personal information about your online activities over time and across third party websites. We also do not authorize third parties to collect any personal information from you on the Sites for these purposes.
Collection of Information From Other Third Party Sources
We may also collect personal and non-personal information about you from other sources to, among other things, enable us to supplement the information contained in our database and to better customize your experience with Quirk Books.
We use the information we learn about you to help us personalize and continually improve your experience with Quirk Books. We may use your personal and non-personal information in the following ways:
- Provide you with the products and services you request
- Post your user generated content to our Sites as you request
- Communicate with you and send you information about features on our Sites
- Communicate with you about changes to our policies
- Send you newsletters, offers and promotions for our products and services, third party products and services, or special events by email or another medium
- Personalize content and experiences on our Sites and within emails sent to you, including providing you recommendations based on your preferences
- Serve you targeted advertising, both on our Sites and elsewhere online, based on information we previously collected from you, including your activity on the Sites or activity on third party sites and applications
- Administer our loyalty programs
- Administer contests, sweepstakes, promotions, and surveys
- Optimize or improve our products, services and operations
- Detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal
- Perform statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses of users of the Sites and recipients of our emails, including browsing and purchasing patterns
Combination of Your Information
When you use more than one of our Sites, we may match information collected from you through each of those Sites and combine that information into a single user record. We may also use and/or combine information we collect off-line or from third party sources to enhance and check the accuracy of your user records.
Third Party Service Providers
We have third party service providers that perform functions on our behalf, such as hosting, marketing, analytics, customer service, fraud protection, etc. These entities have access to your personal information only as needed to perform their functions and they are obligated to maintain the confidentiality and security of that personal information. They are obligated not to use, sell, distribute or alter this information in any way other than to provide the requested services to the Sites.
Book Brands Whose Websites We Manage
What Information We Collect and How We Use It
We do not require children to share any personal information in order to participate on this Sites. On occasion, however, we may collect personal information, such as an email address from a child as part of an activity, in accordance with COPPA. For example:
- Email address: We may collect a child’s email address in order to respond to a one-time request from the child, such as if the child asks us or one of our authors a question. In such case, we promptly delete the child’s email address from our system once we have responded, and we do not use the child’s email address for any other purpose.
- Contests or Sweepstakes: We may collect a child’s email address to enter the child in a sweepstakes or contest or to notify the child that he or she has won or lost a contest or sweepstakes or contest. We will not keep the child’s email address after the promotion or use the child’s email address for any other purpose other than for the promotion. For certain promotions, we may ask that a child give us his/her parent’s email address so we can obtain more personalized information for prize fulfillment purposes if the child wins the promotion or to notify the parent if we need more than the child’s email address to enter the child in the promotion. In the latter event, parents will be sent a notice along with instructions on how they may provide their consent for their child to participate in such promotion.
We may also collect anonymous information automatically from your child’s computer or device, such as the frequency with which the child visits our Sites and the pages visited, to support the internal operations of the Sites. We collect this information so we can understand and monitor usage of the Sites, customize content on the Sites and improve the performance of the Sites. This information is collected using technologies such as web beacons and similar technologies. This information is not used to behaviorally target children and we do not permit behavioral targeting on any of our Sites that are directed to children.
Special Circumstances for Information Sharing and Security
We may share children’s personal information with “Third Party Service Providers” and “Other Third Parties When Required by Law” as disclosed above (see “Who We Share Your Information With”).
Under COPPA, you have the right to review and have any of your child’s information deleted from our records. You also have the right to tell us to stop collecting or using your child’s personal information. If you have questions concerning our information practices with respect to children, or if you would like to review, have deleted, or stop the further collection of your child’s personal information in connection with the transaction for which it was originally collected, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For tips on protecting your child’s privacy online, please see the U.S. Federal Trade Commission’s brochure on this topic: www.onguardonline.gov.
Quirk Books takes reasonable steps to help protect and secure your personal information. However, please remember that no data storage or data transmission over the Internet, or by other means, can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Thus, Quirk Books cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us. Therefore, you understand, acknowledge and agree that you transmit your personal information to our Sites at your own risk.
You may always opt-out of receiving future commercial emails and newsletters from Quirk Books. We provide you with the opportunity to opt-out of receiving such communications from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link within the email you receive. You may also opt out of receiving further communications from us or correct your information by sending us a message at email@example.com. Please note that your request not to receive unsolicited commercial emails from us will not apply to messages that you request or that are not commercial in nature. For example, we may contact you concerning any purchases you have made with us, even if you opt out of receiving unsolicited commercial messages.
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits customers of Quirk Books who are California residents to request certain information regarding its disclosure of their personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
215 Church Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
Phone: (215) 627-3581