Assemble your #girlsquad.
From the crew of ladies in Ocean's 8 to the hilarious duo of Kate McKinnon and Mila Kunis in The Spy Who Dumped Me, the #girlsquad has never been more popular. But the phenomenon of female friendship is hardly new — girl power has been around far, far longer than Instagram and celebrity culture. In Girl Squads: 20 Female Friendships That Changed History (October 2, 2018), best-selling author Sam Maggs (Wonder Women, The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy) highlights groups of women throughout history and from around the world who teamed up to collaborate, supported one another, and changed the course of history.
Okay, I want the book. What do I get for preordering?
We created an enamel pin based off one of illustrator Jenn Woodall's designs in Girl Squads. If you aren't familiar with her work, check out her porfolio here. When you preorder Girl Squads, you'll receive a Wiles of Women enamel pin (see image on the left to get an idea of the final product) and a bookplate signed by Sam Maggs.
We can't wait for you to read Girl Squads! Let us know you preordered the book with the hashtag #GirlSquads on Twitter.
How do I get The Wiles of Women enamel pin and the signed bookplate?
- Preorder your copy of Girl Squads from your retailer of choice. You can preorder from anywhere — even your favorite local comic shop or bookstore. E-books count too!
- Email a photo or screenshot of your receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "GIRL SQUADS PREORDER" and include your mailing address* in the body of the email. All receipts must be dated 10/1/18 or earlier and submitted by 11:59pm EST on 10/8/18.
- Quirk Books will mail you your Wiles of Women enamel pin and bookplate.**
*Preorder campaign is open to US only.
**While supplies last.
Terms and Conditions
For more information and restrictions, make sure to read our terms and conditions before submitting your receipt.
A fun and feisty tour of famous girl BFFs from history who stuck together and changed the world.
A modern girl is nothing without her squad of besties. But don't let all the hashtags fool you: the #girlsquad goes back a long, long time. In this hilarious and heartfelt book, geek girl Sam Maggs takes you on a tour of some of history's most famous female BFFs, including:
- Anne Bonny and Mary Read, the infamous lady pirates who sailed the seven seas and plundered with the best of the men
- Jeanne Manon Roland and Sophie Grandchamp, Parisian socialites who landed front-row seats (from prison) to the French Revolution
- Sharon and Shirley Firth, the First Nations twin sisters who would go on to become Olympic skiiers and break barriers in the sport
- The Edinburgh Seven, the band of pals who fought to become the first women admitted to medical school in the United Kingdom
- The Zohra Orchestra, the ensemble from Afghanistan who defied laws, danger, and threats to become the nation's first all-female musical group
And many more! Spanning art, science, politics, activism, and even sports, these girl squads show just how essential female friendship has been throughout history and throughout the world. Sam Maggs brings her signature wit and warmth as she pays tribute to the enduring power of the girl squad. Fun, feisty, and delightful to read--with empowering illustrations by artist Jenn Woodall--it's the perfect gift for your BFF.