Do you judge a book by its cover? Are you a designer interested in pursuing book design?
If so, Quirk Books is seeking a creative Junior Designer to join its team. As a member of the Design department, the Junior Designer is managed by the Art Director and will be responsible for developing the visual identity of 4-6 books per year as well as handling various tasks related to book production. The right candidate is someone both highly creative and highly organized with a passion for books.
- Conceptualizing and designing covers and interiors for 4-6 titles per year
- Collaborating closely with the Art Director and Editorial department to find creative solutions from book conception to printing
- Finding, hiring, and managing freelance illustrators when appropriate
- Working closely with Art Director and Managing Editor to manage schedules and priorities
- Managing corrections to backlist titles that are being reprinted
- Delivering files for digital conversion of books
- Providing general support to the Design department as needed
Please apply if the following sounds like you:
- A fan of books, pop culture, and design
- 2-4 years of experience in a design role with a portfolio of recent work that demonstrates required skills and abilities
- Highly proficient in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Experience with Asana a plus
- Illustration skills a plus
- Ability to receive and synthesize feedback
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills
- A creative problem solver and effective communicator with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
This is a full-time position located in Philadelphia. To apply, email a short cover letter, resume, and link to your portfolio to email@example.com with “Junior Designer” in the subject line.
ON THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE: Learn about some Quirkers below, and check out our Who's Who page to learn about the entire staff!
David Borgenicht, President
Nicole De Jackmo, SVP, Sales, Marketing, and Publicity
John J. McGurk, VP, Digital & Print Production
Katherine McGuire, Assistant Director of Subrights and Business Development
Kelsey Hoffman, Senior Publicity and Marketing Manager