A part-time, paid internship position that allows the candidate to learn about the publicity and marketing process in book publishing through hands-on experience. The internship runs from May 2020 through December 2020 and requires a minimum commitment of 20 hours a week.
- Publicity Support: Assisting publicists and director of publicity on publicity campaigns, including writing press materials and pulling media lists.
- Clerical Support: Fulfilling mailings, tracking, and logging publicity clips, sending weekly status reports, filing/copying, and taking minutes during weekly marketing meetings.
- Content Production: Creating and posting content on Tumblr and Pinterest, photo editing, writing press materials and blog posts, and brainstorming ideas for the Quirk blog.
- Research: Media contacts, library and retail marketing contacts, and digital marketing.
- Digital Support: Back-end maintenance of QuirkBooks.com, including uploading and tracking blog posts.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Must have good time-management skills and be organized and detail oriented
- Must be proactive, flexible, and adaptive in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and work independently
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Google Docs
- Knowledge of Canva a plus
- Undergraduate or graduate student, preferably majoring in a relevant subject area
- Must be able to commit to a minimum of 20 hours a week
- Previous internship experience in publishing a plus
About Quirk Books:
Quirk Books is headquartered on a quiet cobblestone street in the historic Old City district of Philadelphia. Quirk publishes just twenty-five books per year and every title is a labor of love. Some of our more popular recent titles include the best-selling YA fantasy novel Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, the Edgar Award–winning mystery The Last Policeman, and classroom favorite William Shakespeare’s Star Wars—plus cookbooks, children’s books, art books, gag gifts, pop culture titles, and more. Our books are distributed worldwide by Penguin Random House. Visit QuirkBooks.com for more information.
To Apply: Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Publicity and Marketing Internship”. No calls please.
ON THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE: Check out our monthly blog series to learn more about our staff!
David Borgenicht, Founder
Moneka Hewlett, Vice President of Sales
Nicole De Jackmo, VP, Director of Publicity and Marketing
John J. McGurk, VP, Digital & Print Production
Katherine McGuire, Senior Manager, Licensing & Subsidiary Rights
Kelsey Hoffman, Publicist