Quirk Books – Editor/Senior Editor
Quirk Books is seeking a full-time Editor or Senior Editor to conceive of, develop, acquire, and edit 8-10 unique, pop culture inspired books a year across fiction and non-fiction categories. Adult and children’s editors will be considered but experience developing IP and/or working with licensors is a must. This role reports to the editorial director.
- Conceives of, develops, acquires, and edits 8-10 books a year. These books would be a mix of original ideas and licensed books.
- Shepherds manuscripts through the production process and oversees all aspects of the publication process, with regular involvement in cover development, interior design, and sales/marketing/publicity strategy.
- Develops and nurtures relationships with authors, agents, licensors, and other industry professionals.
- Drafts contract requests, title information sheets, catalog copy, jacket copy, and retailer copy.
- Represents Quirk Books at launch, sales conference, and select industry events.
- 5+ years of relevant editorial experience and acquisitions history.
- Strong awareness of the general marketplace and pop culture trends.
- Excellent verbal and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently, stay organized, set priorities, and problem-solve in a time-sensitive environment.
- Strong industry contacts.
- Must be able to work full-time from the Philadelphia office.
About Quirk: Quirk Books is headquartered on a charming cobblestone street in the historic Old City district of Philadelphia. Quirk publishes 25-35 strikingly unconventional books per year, and every title is a labor of love born out of passions and obsessions. Always looking to set the next trend, Quirk delivers books and stories that are bold, unprecedented, beautifully designed, and affordable. Some of Quirk’s popular titles include Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar children, The Last Policeman, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Geekerella, William Shakespeare’s Star Wars, Hope Never Dies, and the Pop Classics series. Quirk’s books are distributed worldwide by Penguin Random House.
Application Details: Please submit a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
ON THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE: Check out our monthly blog series to learn more about our staff!
David Borgenicht, Founder
Moneka Hewlett, Vice President of Sales
Nicole De Jackmo, VP, Director of Publicity and Marketing
John J. McGurk, VP, Digital & Print Production
Katherine McGuire, Senior Manager, Licensing & Subsidiary Rights
Kelsey Hoffman, Publicist