Quirk Books – Fall/Winter Publicity and Marketing Intern (Remote Position)
We are excited to open up an internship opportunity for qualified individuals beyond the Philadelphia area through this paid, remote position. This part-time role will allow the candidate to learn about the publicity and marketing process in book publishing through hands-on, virtual experience. The internship runs from September 2020 through April 2021 and requires a minimum commitment of 20 hours a week.
- Publicity Support: Assisting publicists and director of publicity on publicity campaigns, including writing press materials and pulling media lists.
- Clerical Support: Fulfilling mailings, tracking, and logging publicity clips, sending weekly status reports, and taking minutes during marketing meetings.
- Content Production: Creating and posting content on Pinterest, photo editing, writing press materials and blog posts, and brainstorming ideas for the Quirk blog.
- Research: Media contacts, library and retail marketing contacts, and digital marketing support.
- Digital Support: Back-end maintenance of QuirkBooks.com, including uploading and tracking blog posts.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Must have good time-management skills and be organized and detail oriented
- Must be proactive, flexible, and adaptive in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and work independently
- Proficiency in Google Drive (including Docs and Sheets)
- Knowledge of Canva a plus
- Ability to work well in a virtual environment (must have access to laptop/desktop computer and reliable, secure internet connection, video conferencing and screen sharing capabilities, and comfort in using and desire to learn digital tools)
- A strong interest in book publishing and a love of reading
- Must be able to commit to a minimum of 20 hours a week
- Not open to current high school students
About Quirk Books:
Quirk Books is headquartered on a quiet cobblestone street in the historic Old City district of Philadelphia. Quirk publishes just twenty-five books per year and every title is a labor of love. Some of our more popular recent titles include the best-selling horror novel The Southern Book Club’s Guide to Slaying Vampires and YA favorite The Princess and the Fangirl. Other beloved titles include the YA fantasy novel Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children and popular classroom series William Shakespeare’s Star Wars—plus cookbooks, children’s books, gag gifts, pop culture titles, and more. Our books are distributed worldwide by Penguin Random House. Visit QuirkBooks.com for more information.
Location: Remote; US residents only (office operates on Eastern Time Zone hours)
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter that speaks to your passion for book publishing and any related experience along with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Publicity and Marketing Internship”. No calls please.
ON THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE: Check out our monthly blog series to learn more about our staff!
David Borgenicht, Founder
Moneka Hewlett, Vice President of Sales
Nicole De Jackmo, VP, Director of Publicity and Marketing
John J. McGurk, VP, Digital & Print Production
Katherine McGuire, Senior Manager, Licensing & Subsidiary Rights
Kelsey Hoffman, Publicist