Current job listings:
A part-time, paid internship position that allows the candidate to learn about the publicity and marketing process in book publishing through hands-on experience. The internship runs from May 2020 through December 2020 and requires a minimum commitment of 20 hours a week.
- Publicity Support: Assisting publicists and director of publicity on publicity campaigns, including writing press materials and pulling media lists.
- Clerical Support: Fulfilling mailings, tracking, and logging publicity clips, sending weekly status reports, filing/copying, and taking minutes during weekly marketing meetings.
- Content Production: Creating and posting content on Tumblr and Pinterest, photo editing, writing press materials and blog posts, and brainstorming ideas for the Quirk blog.
- Research: Media contacts, library and retail marketing contacts, and digital marketing.
- Digital Support: Back-end maintenance of QuirkBooks.com, including uploading and tracking blog posts.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Must have good time-management skills and be organized and detail oriented
- Must be proactive, flexible, and adaptive in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and work independently
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Google Docs
- Knowledge of Canva a plus
- Undergraduate or graduate student, preferably majoring in a relevant subject area
- Must be able to commit to a minimum of 20 hours a week
- Previous internship experience in publishing a plus
About Quirk Books:
Quirk Books is headquartered on a quiet cobblestone street in the historic Old City district of Philadelphia. Quirk publishes just twenty-five books per year and every title is a labor of love. Some of our more popular recent titles include the best-selling YA fantasy novel Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, the Edgar Award–winning mystery The Last Policeman, and classroom favorite William Shakespeare’s Star Wars—plus cookbooks, children’s books, art books, gag gifts, pop culture titles, and more. Our books are distributed worldwide by Penguin Random House. Visit QuirkBooks.com for more information.
To Apply: Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Publicity and Marketing Internship”. No calls please.
Offered by: Quirk Books
Benefits: Health; Dental; 401k
Duration: Full Time
Location: Philadelphia, PA
- Complete administrative tasks in a timely manner, such as drafting contract and payment requests, title information sheets, and copy.
- Assist with editorial responsibilities as needed, such as reviewing submissions, idea development, and sharing editorial notes.
- Assist with departmental duties such as mailings, filing, and expenses.
- Management of manuscripts through all stages of production and the publication process.
- Professional interaction with authors, agents, staff, and industry colleagues.
- Bachelor's degree or relevant work experience.
- Interest in children's books, YA, pop culture trends, and Quirk's list.
- Excellent verbal and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently, stay organized, set priorities, and problem-solve in a time-sensitive environment.
- Must be able to work full-time from the Philadelphia office.
- Previous Editorial Assistant experience a plus.
Quirk Books is headquartered on a charming cobblestone street in the historic Old City district of Philadelphia. Quirk publishes 25-35 strikingly unconventional books per year, and every title is a labor of love born out of passions and obsessions. Always looking to set the next trend, Quirk delivers books and stories that are bold, unprecedented, beautifully designed, and affordable. Some of Quirk’s popular titles include Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, The Last Policeman, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Geekerella, William Shakespeare’s Star Wars, Hope Never Dies, and the Pop Classics series. Quirk’s books are distributed worldwide by Penguin Random House.
Special Instructions: To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to hreditorial (at) quirkbooks.com. No phone calls please.
ON THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE: Check out our monthly blog series to learn more about our staff!
David Borgenicht, Founder
Moneka Hewlett, Vice President of Sales
Nicole De Jackmo, VP, Director of Publicity and Marketing
John J. McGurk, VP, Digital & Print Production
Katherine McGuire, Senior Manager, Licensing & Subsidiary Rights
Kelsey Hoffman, Publicist