This dish starts out with a little of everything, but sums up to a big, huge entree with layers of flavors and generous portions. Twirl your chopsticks through the silky, glass-like thin noodles which serve as the bed for the savory Asian-flavored pork meatballs, zesty beef slices, crisp vegetables all held together by the irresistible sauce.
Stir Fry Noodles with Pork Meatballs, Beef and Vegetables
Servings: 4 to 6
100 gm. (3.5 oz) Chinese vermicelli transparent noodles (from Asian markets), about 2 cups when cooked
½ pound ground pork, for meatballs
2 Tablespoons soy sauce, for meatballs
1 egg, for meatballs
½ cup breadcrumbs, for meatballs
6 Tablespoons vegetable or corn oil
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 whole onion, sliced thin
¼ pound beef sirloin, sliced in 2-inch strips
1 cup broth
¼ cup oyster sauce (from Asian markets)
1 cup sliced carrots
2 cups sugar snap peas, washed, ends trimmed, strings removed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper powder
½ cup chopped scallions, for garnish
1 whole lemon, sliced, for serving
· To make the meatballs ahead: mix together the ground pork, soy sauce, egg and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Shape into 1-inch sized meatballs. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm up.
· Pre-soak the Chinese vermicelli transparent noodles in room temperature water for 25 to 30 minutes, but not longer. Drain water and set aside in a collander for later. Do not cut the noodles before cooking. The longer the noodles, the more good fortune one will have.
· In a large skillet, over medium high heat, add the vegetable or corn oil. Place the pork meatballs and pan fry for 17 to 20 minutes till they are thoroughly cooked. Turn meatballs occasionally in the skillet for even browning. When cooked, remove meatballs from pan, drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.
· Using the same large skillet with the same cooking oil, continue cooking over medium high heat. Saute the garlic and onions. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes till onions are translucent.
· Add the beef strips and pan fry beef for 2 minutes.
· Add the broth and oyster sauce. Blend well. Add back the pork meatballs. Mix gently with the beef strips.
· Add the carrot slices. As the broth bubbles and simmers, add the snow peas and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
· Lastly, add the pre-soaked noodles to the rest of the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot. Garnish with scallions. Squeeze some lemon juice over dish just before serving.
Recipe Notes: The oyster sauce used in this recipe is a common ingredient for Chinese and Asian dishes. This bottled sauce is available from Asian markets and contains soy sauce, oyster extracts, cornstarch, sugar and salt. It gives a thick, rich salty and sweet flavor base to stir fry dishes.
Elizabeth Quirino believes that “food brings the world together.” She loves to cook, develop recipes, photograph & write about her culinary adventures on her 2 blogs Asian in America. Outside the kitchen, Elizabeth paints watercolors, reads everything and ends every week with ballroom dancing. For great food stories find her on Facebook and follow Mango_Queen on Twitter.